This month we conducted a study which found that so-called “FinTech experts” may not be as knowledgeable as they claim. We uncovered that 94% of financial services professionals suspect their colleagues of using buzzwords such as “Blockchain” and “Artificial Intelligence” without understanding their meaning. Over half (60%) claim that such bluffing is a common occurrence.
The industry professionals questioned felt that lack of training within financial services organisations was the biggest factor preventing some employees from developing their digital and FinTech skills, with 69% making this claim. Meanwhile, 22% say financial services professionals are putting off developing their digital skills out of fear that it’s too late to catch up with existing FinTech experts.
This is despite the vast majority of financial services professionals believing that promotions should favour the most tech-savvy employees, meaning traditional financial services experts could be at risk of falling behind their digital-friendly colleagues. Of the 1,400 people questioned, 84% claimed that colleagues with advanced digital and FinTech skills, but half the years of experience, are more deserving of promotion than a colleague who has been in the industry for at least ten years.
I personally think it’s worrying that financial services professionals believe it’s too late to build their digital and FinTech skills, while others are bluffing their skillset… As the study shows, in today’s financial services industry, there is a direct link between genuine digital knowledge and promotion prospects. We’ve developed the FINTECH Circle Institute to empower financial professionals with practical FinTech knowledge.
The FINTECH Circle Institute is a peer-to-peer online learning platform, designed to empower finance professionals with the necessary digital skills to adapt to the rapidly changing industry. With board members ranging from traditional banks and FinTech experts, through to academics from leading universities, the platform will offer a combination of practical bitesize courses on topics including Blockchain, RegTech and Robo-banking. Financial professionals and aspiring digital finance experts are invited to sign up here to take advantage of the launch offer (Save 50% – Get a 4 years membership for the prize of 2 years for only £500).
We are guided by our fantastic Advisory Board Members:
- Ben Brabyn Chief Executive, Level39
- Pascal Bouvier, CFA, Venture Partner at Santander InnoVentures & Linkedin Top Voice (Money & Finance)
- Chris Coleridge, Senior Faculty in Management Practice at Cambridge Judge Business School (University of Cambridge)
- David Craig, President, Financial and Risk, Thomson Reuters
- Michael Harte, Global Head of Innovation, Barclays
- Joy MacKnight, Deputy Editor, The Banker
- Todd McDonald, Co-Founder and Head of Ecosystem Development, R3
- Olof Pripp, Vice Chairman, Board and CEO Services, Korn Ferry, EMEA
- Kaushalya Somasundaram, Head of FinTech Partnerships and Strategy, HSBC
- Philip Treleaven, Professor and Director of UK Financial Computing Centre, University College London
- Markos Zachariadis, Assistant Professor at Warwick Business School and Research Fellow at the University of Cambridge
Join us on the FINTECH Circle Institute & let’s start learn together!
Co-Editor of The FINTECH Book